On November 2, 1940, U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt and party visit P-39 aircraft production line at the Bell Aircraft Company factory, 2050 Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo, New York, and P-40 production lines at the Curtiss Aeroplane factory, 2303 Kenmore Avenue, Buffalo, NY. Workers in the Bell plant pose around and inside fuselages taking shape along a production line for Bell P-39 Airacobra airplanes. In the Curtiss plant, view from rear, of Secret Service agent in coat and hat, standing on running board of an open Packard motor car carrying President Franklin D. Roosevelt, and his party as they drive slowly along an aisle in the factory, showing P-40 aircraft in various stages of completion. The President is barely visible in the back seat. (This is a 1939 Packard twelve, model 1708, special parade car, built for the President's use.) View from ahead of the President's car, as it proceeds along the Curtiss P-40 production line. (The President, in coat and hat, sits in the right rear seat.) As they progress along the production line, the aircraft seen are increasingly more complete. At the Bell plant, the motorocade passes a fully assembled P-39 on display. The President holds a desk model of the plane. The American flag and Presidential flag are displayed on the front of the car. The president is now seen without his hat. The car moves into a section of one of the factories that fabricates wing assemblies and other smaller parts. Closeup front view of the President and party as the car begins to exit the Bell factory on Elmwood Avenue. The building has "Bell Aircraft Corp." written on it. Employees are lined up outside the plant and applaud the President. [Note: There is a possibility that some scenes may be from other Buffalo-area aircraft factories that started production in 1942, including the Bell Plant in Wheatfield, NY (Niagara Falls) and the Curtiss Plant #2 at the Buffalo Airport.]
The French line ship, SS Lorraine, in camouflage paint, seen backing into port at Bordeaux, France, on June 24, 1918. Belgian troops of the ACM Corps (Autos-Canons-Mitrailleuses, Belgian armored unit) disembark. (Note: Soldiers of This Belgian armored unit fought with the White Russians during World War I. They left Vladivostok for the USA on the SS Sheridan, and docked at San Francisco on May 12, 1918. They were warmly greeted as they proceeded across the U.S. to New York city, where they participated in the Memorial Day Parade. After leaving New York City, aboard the SS La Lorraine, they reached Bordeaux on June 24 1918.)
U.S. President Woodrow Wilson, Samuel Gompers and Frank Morrison at the Convention of the American Federation of Labor in Buffalo, New York. President Woodrow Wilson arrive to attend the Convention of the American Federation of Labor. President speaks at the Convention and leaves in a car. Samuel Gompers, Head of American Federation of Labor meets and shakes hand with Frank Morrison, Secretary of American Federation of Labor. They both pose for a photograph outside a building. Samuel Gompers leaves in Car. A Parade convention.
Samuel Gompers along with Hugh Frayne, General Organizer of the American Federation of Labor and President Wilson in Buffalo, New York. Samuel Gompers stands outside a building. Hugh Frayne joins Samuel Gompers and Frank at the convention. A Parade convention. Gompers rides in a car during the Parade convention. President Wilson enters building along with a lady. President Wilson along with the Lady leaves in car.
Shows several aviation "firsts" accomplished by U.S. Army Air Service aviators in the period from 1918 through 1924. A close formation of biplanes in flight. President and Mrs. Woodrow Wilson chat with Major Fleet, Officer in charge, on the occasion of the first air mail flight, inaugurated on May 15,1918 between Washington DC and New York.The mail is loaded into the Curtis JN-4 aircraft. Pilot in the cockpit. The aircraft takes off and in flight. Air Service. Mention of aviators helping spot forest fires. Smoke rising from forest fires and mountain ranges. In 1920, U.S. Army Captain St. Clair Streett is seen with some of his Squadron who flew four De Havilland DH-4 aircraft 9,000 miles, from New York City to Nome, Alaska. Two of the men play with pet dogs. Their itinerary is painted on the side of one of the aircraft, along with the names of pilot and mechanic (C.E. Crumline and J.E. Long). In 1923 the first non stop coast-to-coast flight was made in the Fokker T-2 aircraft. . A sign on the aircraft reads 'Army Air Service non stop coast to coast'.First Lieutenants Oakley O.Kelly and John A. Macready board the aircraft, at Roosevelt Field, Long Island, New York, on May 2, 1923. Their Fokker T-2 in flight. Their arrival at Rockwell Field, on Coronado Island (San Diego) California. In 1924, Lt. Russell Maughan is seen boarding his P-1 Hawk airplane at Mitchel Field, on Long Island, New York, and taking off , bound for Crissy Field at the Presidio, San Francisco, California. His goal is the first dawn-to-dusk, coast-to-coast flight. Views of his P-1 Hawk airplane flying over Manhattan, New York City.
Closeup of women in the New York City Police reserve, during World War 1. They stand outside the 23rd Police Precinct ("Tenderloin") Station House on West 30th Street, Manhattan, New York City. Their uniforms include round-brimmed hats and overcoats, and they have round badges topped with eagles, pinned to their coats. Next, about 15 are seen, walking two abreast. All wear white gloves and badges, but otherwise, their uniforms are not identical. One supervisor woman walks beside the group, wearing a slightly different badge. Walking casually, a short distance behind the group is a woman (probably Mary Noonan) in the uniform of a captain (with "railroad tracks" insignia on her collar). Scene shifts to a street filled with a traffic mix of horse-drawn and motor vehicles, all staying fairly clear of trolley tracks visible in the center of the road. A police reserve woman stands in the center of the street, directing traffic. Next, a large group of school children is seen standing on a street corner, accompanied by a woman police officer. They begin to cross the street under the watchful eye of another woman reserve police officer, directing traffic in the street. Some adults cross behind the children. (Note: On May 9, 1918, the New York City Police Department announced formation of a new Police Reserve, that would include a women's contingent. This was the idea of Special Deputy Commissioner Rodman Wanamaker, who reasoned, since New York women had received the vote, on November 6th 1917, they should have a role in enforcing the laws. Over 3,000 women were recruited. Their Captain was Mary Noonan. Their duties did not involve direct dealings with criminals. According to the New York Times of May 10, 1918, "If need arose for use of the nightstick or other instrument for curbing crime,the work would be referred to the men members of the force.")