Policeman directs traffic from a raised platform on a street in Detroit, Michigan. Sign on platform reads 'Drive safely...Walk Right.' A Safety Parade in Detroit. Several street cars, flatcar with wrecked car and sign 'This is the First of 52 Safety Weeks-Ru careful'. Several floats in the parade
In Detroit Financial District, people in front of First State Bank Building at 751 Griswold at Lafayette in Detroit, Michigan. (The building was designed by Albert Kahn and Corrado Parducci, and later housed the Olde Discount Corporation). Interior of First State Bank Building, Detroit. Street view of First National Building under construction at 660 Woodward Avenue in Detroit (for First National Bank and other tenants). Automobile traffic on streets of Detroit. People leave Sweetest Heart of Mary, Roman Catholic Church, located on Russell Street at the corner of East Canfield avenue, in a historic Polish parish. (The neighborhood at the time was predominantely Polish.) In the distance is another Polish parish and Saint Josaphat Church located on East Canfield at the corner of Hastings Street (which is now the I 75 freeway). Heavy traffic on a main boulevard. Children play in playground on swings and slides. People and pigeons in a park. Heavy traffic on a street. Large crowd on shore and others in canoes in water at Belle Isle. Crowd streams through gate at dock to board the steamship ferry "Columbia" of the Detroit, Belle Isle and Windsor Ferry Company, with sign "Bob-Lo Route" on the side. Boblo Steamship SS Columbia (designed by Frank Kirby) filled with passengers underway on the Detroit River bound for Bob-Lo Island in Ontario Canada.
A baseball game being played at Navin Field, in Detroit, Michigan. Based on the uniforms, the size of the crowd, and the action seen in the clip, this is very likely the second game of a doubleheader played by the Detroit Tigers and Chicago White Sox May 30, 1916, on the holiday then known as Decoration Day (now Memorial Day). Clip opens with shots of one White Sox player, two Tigers players hitting. Camera pans across packed stands. Tigers outfielder and Hall of Famer Ty Cobb (with split grip on bat) reaches out to get a hit. White Sox catcher Ray Schalk removes mask, gets ready for throw. Detroit player tries to score; Schalk receives the ball, applies the tag. Umpire's call is difficult to discern. Action shifts to an overhead view. Three White Sox players score on a hit, the last one sliding past an attempted tag by Detroit catcher Oscar Stanage. Detroit pitcher Harry Coveleski gets final out of the inning. Detroit player reaches first base on infield error. The next batter pokes a ball over first baseman for a single. Other Tigers players hit. The Tigers would win this game 9-8.
The Detroit, Toledo and Ironton Railroad in the United States, running between Michigan and Ohio. A locomotive pulling a train of coal cars comes down a track. A sign on the cars read 'Ford'. The railroad was owned by Ford and its locomotives were always kept in tip top condition. (This train was possibly coming from the Wellston, Ohio coal fields.)
Scenes from game 7 of the World Series in 1934: Detroit Tigers, of Detroit, Michigan play against the St. Louis Cardinals from St. Louis, Missouri, at Navin Field in Detroit Michigan. The players include Frankie Frisch, Mickey Cochrane, Dizzy Dean and Joe "Ducky" Medwick. The players playing the game. Notable persons watching the game include: Henry Ford, son Edsel Ford, Will Rogers and R Judge Landis (Kenesaw Mountain Landis), the first Commissioner of Major League Baseball. A large crowd of spectators watch the game in the stadium. Fans throw pop bottles and fruit onto the field in the 6th inning of game 7 after Cardinals star Ducky Wucky Medwick slides into the Detroit 3rd baseman Marv Owen. Medwick is removed from the game by Commissioner Landis. St. Louis Cardinals with its infamous "Gashouse Gang" win the game and the series. From a "25 years ago today" retrospective in a UN newsreel, dated September 24, 1959.
A car drives up to the Lincoln Building, in Detroit, Michigan, Mr. and Mrs. Edsel Ford step from the car and walk toward the entrance.They are met by Henry Leland, and Mr. and Mrs. Wilfred Leland, who come out to greet them. A chauffeured car arrives carrying Henry and Mrs. Ford, who walk from their car to the entrance where they are greeted by the Lelands. The group poses on the building step, from left to right: Henry Leland, Mr. and Mrs. Wilfred Leland, Mr. and Mrs. Edsel Ford, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Ford. Henry Leland does an impromptu dance which Henry Ford briefly imitates. The group enters the building. Inside the building, company founders, Henry Leland, and Henry Ford, respectively, stand as Edsel Ford (President of Ford Motor Company) signs a document as a lawyer witness sits nearby. Henry Leland (President of Lincoln Motor Company) signs the document while a different witness lawyer sits nearby. The lawyers step in momentarily, and Henry Leland is again seen signing a document. He steps away, and a lawyer sits down and signs as witness.