Henry Ford works on historical preservation project. McGuffey readers are seen. Sketch of Ford family farm in Springwells, Michigan. View of homestead at the farm, that Ford restores. He examines the farm's steam engine. The historic Wayside Inn, in Sudbury, Massachusetts, which Ford purchased to construct a community of historic buildings. View of the restored Botsford Inn,Detroit, Michigan, that Ford bought in 1924.View of Eagle Tavern, in Clinton, Michigan,before,and,after its purchase and restoration by Henry Ford. Concerned about need for additional buildings to house artifacts, Henry Ford consulting with Detroit architect,Robert O. Derrick (with mustache) and two other men. Derrick's plan for the Henry Ford museum is unrolled. It borrows from Independence Hall, Congress Hall, and the old City Hall in Philadelphia.Views of the Clock Tower and museum, as completed in 1929. A pictorial map of the Edison Institute Museum and Historical Greenfield Village, in Dearborn, Michigan. View of construction begun in 1927. Thomas A. Edison laboratory in Menlo Park, New Jersey, that Ford acquired for Greenfield Village. On a windy September 17, 1928, Thomas A. Edison steps from a car, and pauses before entering the doorway of his restored laboratory, in Greenfield Village. Henry and Mrs.Ford step from their car to quickly join him in the building.Edsel Ford and his wife, also follow. Inside the building, Edison officially open the site by starting a steam engine in the laboratory. Ford and Edison converse (Ford speaking close to Edison's ear, because he is hard of hearing). Later, Edison, in a cornerstone ceremony, imbeds, a shovel contributed by Luther Burbank, and then writes in cement of the cornerstone.Newspapers show coverage of the formal dedication of the museum and Greenfield village, October 21, 1929. Workers rushing the Village toward completion for that event. The Smithcreek Railroad depot is moved to the Village. Workers preparing installation of the depot.
A Ford Tri Motor on pontoons being tested on River Detroit in Detroit,Michigan. Plane takes off,flies around and lands.
Views of Detroit, Michigan. Chamber's sightseeing bus loaded with passengers driven pass Lincoln Mercury Building at the Ford River Rouge Plant in Detroit. Tourists enter the bus. Exterior views of the Plant. Industrial crane in the Plant Yard. 'Benson Ford', ore boat on the dock. Bus driven along the street in Plant area. Tourists leave the bus. Tourists enter Rouge plant with a guide.
Scenes from the AAA Dirt Track Championships at the Michigan State Fairgrounds. Automobiles racing on dirt track in Detroit Michigan. Crowd stands. Aircraft flies low over racing cars moving on track. Spectators, mostly men wearing hats, seen seated. Cliff Woodbury wins the race (George Souders took second place, Wilbur Shaw took third, and Dutch Baumann was in fourth place). Woodbury seen in his car talking to reporters and exiting his car after completing race. Crowd in the background.
In Detroit Financial District, people in front of First State Bank Building at 751 Griswold at Lafayette in Detroit, Michigan. (The building was designed by Albert Kahn and Corrado Parducci, and later housed the Olde Discount Corporation). Interior of First State Bank Building, Detroit. Street view of First National Building under construction at 660 Woodward Avenue in Detroit (for First National Bank and other tenants). Automobile traffic on streets of Detroit. People leave Sweetest Heart of Mary, Roman Catholic Church, located on Russell Street at the corner of East Canfield avenue, in a historic Polish parish. (The neighborhood at the time was predominantely Polish.) In the distance is another Polish parish and Saint Josaphat Church located on East Canfield at the corner of Hastings Street (which is now the I 75 freeway). Heavy traffic on a main boulevard. Children play in playground on swings and slides. People and pigeons in a park. Heavy traffic on a street. Large crowd on shore and others in canoes in water at Belle Isle. Crowd streams through gate at dock to board the steamship ferry "Columbia" of the Detroit, Belle Isle and Windsor Ferry Company, with sign "Bob-Lo Route" on the side. Boblo Steamship SS Columbia (designed by Frank Kirby) filled with passengers underway on the Detroit River bound for Bob-Lo Island in Ontario Canada.
A baseball game being played at Navin Field, in Detroit, Michigan. Based on the uniforms, the size of the crowd, and the action seen in the clip, this is very likely the second game of a doubleheader played by the Detroit Tigers and Chicago White Sox May 30, 1916, on the holiday then known as Decoration Day (now Memorial Day). Clip opens with shots of one White Sox player, two Tigers players hitting. Camera pans across packed stands. Tigers outfielder and Hall of Famer Ty Cobb (with split grip on bat) reaches out to get a hit. White Sox catcher Ray Schalk removes mask, gets ready for throw. Detroit player tries to score; Schalk receives the ball, applies the tag. Umpire's call is difficult to discern. Action shifts to an overhead view. Three White Sox players score on a hit, the last one sliding past an attempted tag by Detroit catcher Oscar Stanage. Detroit pitcher Harry Coveleski gets final out of the inning. Detroit player reaches first base on infield error. The next batter pokes a ball over first baseman for a single. Other Tigers players hit. The Tigers would win this game 9-8.