Pedestrian and street car traffic at intersection of a street in Detroit, Michigan (1920). View of road with hairpin curves (1916). Views of City Street with pedestrians, buses and automobile traffic in Detroit, Michigan (1929). Heavy automobile traffic on Miller Road in Detroit, Michigan (1929).
Henry Ford works on historical preservation project. McGuffey readers are seen. Sketch of Ford family farm in Springwells, Michigan. View of homestead at the farm, that Ford restores. He examines the farm's steam engine. The historic Wayside Inn, in Sudbury, Massachusetts, which Ford purchased to construct a community of historic buildings. View of the restored Botsford Inn,Detroit, Michigan, that Ford bought in 1924.View of Eagle Tavern, in Clinton, Michigan,before,and,after its purchase and restoration by Henry Ford. Concerned about need for additional buildings to house artifacts, Henry Ford consulting with Detroit architect,Robert O. Derrick (with mustache) and two other men. Derrick's plan for the Henry Ford museum is unrolled. It borrows from Independence Hall, Congress Hall, and the old City Hall in Philadelphia.Views of the Clock Tower and museum, as completed in 1929. A pictorial map of the Edison Institute Museum and Historical Greenfield Village, in Dearborn, Michigan. View of construction begun in 1927. Thomas A. Edison laboratory in Menlo Park, New Jersey, that Ford acquired for Greenfield Village. On a windy September 17, 1928, Thomas A. Edison steps from a car, and pauses before entering the doorway of his restored laboratory, in Greenfield Village. Henry and Mrs.Ford step from their car to quickly join him in the building.Edsel Ford and his wife, also follow. Inside the building, Edison officially open the site by starting a steam engine in the laboratory. Ford and Edison converse (Ford speaking close to Edison's ear, because he is hard of hearing). Later, Edison, in a cornerstone ceremony, imbeds, a shovel contributed by Luther Burbank, and then writes in cement of the cornerstone.Newspapers show coverage of the formal dedication of the museum and Greenfield village, October 21, 1929. Workers rushing the Village toward completion for that event. The Smithcreek Railroad depot is moved to the Village. Workers preparing installation of the depot.
Detroit Tigers baseball team on their home field in Detroit Michigan (likely opening game of 1929 home season on April 24, 1929). Band parades on baseball field before grandstand. Baseball players march following the band. Spectators in box seats. Detroit Mayor John C. Lodge poses and throws out the first pitch. Detroit Tigers baseball players in dugout. Batter in the box with spectators in grandstand as background. Views of ballplayer, 'D' on cap. Ford automobile on ball field. Announcer interviews players for radio station WWJ. Mayor John Lodge shakes hands with the players while he is interviewed and poses with players for photographer. Coach and Ford official with automobile on baseball field. Band and players march across field with Marine honor guard.
The opening day of the 1929 baseball season in Detroit, Michigan. View of the large crowd in the stands at Navin Field. Ford Model A car parked by the stands inside the stadium. Detroit Tigers part-owner Walter Briggs talks to Tigers manager Bucky Harris on radio station WWJ. Henry Ford shakes hands with Harris and speaks into the microphone. Briggs and a Detroit player beside the Ford. A band, Tiger players, and the opposing Cleveland Indians march around the stadium. Ford and Briggs talking in the stands. Fords holds baseball, throws it out to unseen player on the field. The men talk and smile. Harris outside the dugout. Two other players sit inside the dugout. Several Detroit players stand just outside the dugout.
Huge crowd attending the dedication of the Edison Institute, Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, in Dearborn, Michigan, on a rainy October 21, 1929. The event includes a Jubilee of Lights, celebrating the 50th anniversary of Edison's electric light. People holding umbrellas, stand on platform of the Smithcreek Railroad depot, which has been moved to the village. Steam issues from antique locomotive parked on far track. An 1850 steam locomotive decorated with American flags, pulls a 3-car train into the depot, with its bell clanging. Secret Service agents step from the moving train to take up positions on the platform.U.S. President, Herbert Hoover, escorts Thomas Edison, down the steps of the train to the platform. Mrs. Hoover follows, along with Henry Ford, who moves quickly down the steps, as other notable guests also alight. The President, and Mrs. Hoover, along with Edison and Ford, enter a car and proceed in a motorcade through the city of Detroit. Tickertape is seen descending from the city buildings. A speaker stand at steps of City Hall is decorated in patriotic bunting and displays pictures of Hoover and Edison, and a sign reading: "Light's Golden Jubilee." Guests remaining at Greenfield village are taken on guided tours in horse-drawn carriages. Many who walk carry umbrellas. Among building seen are: An 1828 toll house and shoe shop;Blacksmith shop; a tintype studio of the 1880s; an 1830s post office and apothecary shop, from Phoenixville, Connecticut; the Clifton Inn, on the village green; a General store, from Waterford, Michigan; the Village Town Hall; and the Martha Mary Chapel. Interior of museum galleries, with guests in formal attire assembled for a candle light banquet, while at the Menlo Park exhibit, Edison, with assistant, Francis Jehl, re-enact the successful demonstration of a carbon filament electric light. At the same time, all electric lights in the museum and village are turned on. View of elaborate electric light chandelier illuminated.
In Detroit Financial District, people in front of First State Bank Building at 751 Griswold at Lafayette in Detroit, Michigan. (The building was designed by Albert Kahn and Corrado Parducci, and later housed the Olde Discount Corporation). Interior of First State Bank Building, Detroit. Street view of First National Building under construction at 660 Woodward Avenue in Detroit (for First National Bank and other tenants). Automobile traffic on streets of Detroit. People leave Sweetest Heart of Mary, Roman Catholic Church, located on Russell Street at the corner of East Canfield avenue, in a historic Polish parish. (The neighborhood at the time was predominantely Polish.) In the distance is another Polish parish and Saint Josaphat Church located on East Canfield at the corner of Hastings Street (which is now the I 75 freeway). Heavy traffic on a main boulevard. Children play in playground on swings and slides. People and pigeons in a park. Heavy traffic on a street. Large crowd on shore and others in canoes in water at Belle Isle. Crowd streams through gate at dock to board the steamship ferry "Columbia" of the Detroit, Belle Isle and Windsor Ferry Company, with sign "Bob-Lo Route" on the side. Boblo Steamship SS Columbia (designed by Frank Kirby) filled with passengers underway on the Detroit River bound for Bob-Lo Island in Ontario Canada.