Thousands of people flock at 'Miracle Grave', the resting place of Father Patrick Joseph Power (identified in film slate as Father Francis Power). A large number of people gather near the grave of a priest. The men and women moving in a line towards the grave of Father Patrick Power, which is believed to have magical healing powers. Officers controlling the crowd. The people pick the earth on the grave, and pray, as they move in a line. A woman in crutches moves among the crowd, approaches the grave and prays. Men and women gather around the grave. Flowers laid on the grave. Two men lift a sick man and bring him to the grave.
Henry Ford works on historical preservation project. McGuffey readers are seen. Sketch of Ford family farm in Springwells, Michigan. View of homestead at the farm, that Ford restores. He examines the farm's steam engine. The historic Wayside Inn, in Sudbury, Massachusetts, which Ford purchased to construct a community of historic buildings. View of the restored Botsford Inn,Detroit, Michigan, that Ford bought in 1924.View of Eagle Tavern, in Clinton, Michigan,before,and,after its purchase and restoration by Henry Ford. Concerned about need for additional buildings to house artifacts, Henry Ford consulting with Detroit architect,Robert O. Derrick (with mustache) and two other men. Derrick's plan for the Henry Ford museum is unrolled. It borrows from Independence Hall, Congress Hall, and the old City Hall in Philadelphia.Views of the Clock Tower and museum, as completed in 1929. A pictorial map of the Edison Institute Museum and Historical Greenfield Village, in Dearborn, Michigan. View of construction begun in 1927. Thomas A. Edison laboratory in Menlo Park, New Jersey, that Ford acquired for Greenfield Village. On a windy September 17, 1928, Thomas A. Edison steps from a car, and pauses before entering the doorway of his restored laboratory, in Greenfield Village. Henry and Mrs.Ford step from their car to quickly join him in the building.Edsel Ford and his wife, also follow. Inside the building, Edison officially open the site by starting a steam engine in the laboratory. Ford and Edison converse (Ford speaking close to Edison's ear, because he is hard of hearing). Later, Edison, in a cornerstone ceremony, imbeds, a shovel contributed by Luther Burbank, and then writes in cement of the cornerstone.Newspapers show coverage of the formal dedication of the museum and Greenfield village, October 21, 1929. Workers rushing the Village toward completion for that event. The Smithcreek Railroad depot is moved to the Village. Workers preparing installation of the depot.
Documentary depicts the end of the 1920s good times in the U.S., leading into the Great Depression. Mildred Unger, age 10, performs a wing walker charleston dance while out on the wing of a JN-4 "Jenny" airplane in flight over Los Angeles in 1926.Four girls dancing on the top of a building higher than those around it, in Boston, Massachusetts. Amusement park patrons riding a roller coaster. People out driving through a park in their automobiles. Patrons enjoying themselves at the Steeplechase amusement park in Coney Island, New York. A crane piling old cars in a heap at a junk yard. But following the Wall Street crash of 1929, conditions change in America. Group of people receiving food assistance in a city. A man, woman, and baby, in a tent (probably migrant workers). The famous 1936 photo, "Migrant Mother" by Dorothea Lange, of migrant worker, Florence Owens Thompson, with two of her children in California. Men receiving food from a city soup kitchen. Dejected unemployed men.
Amelia Earhart seen in leather flight coat, dons leather helmet and goggles for a photograph. She poses with Pilot Wilmer Stultz and flight mechanic, Louis Gordon. At daybreak the adventurers row towards Fokker F. VII b-3 trimotored seaplane, and board for their first leg of transatlantic flight (to Trespassey, New Foundland). Their seaplane, named "Friendship," takes off and buzzes the port as they depart from Boston, Massachusetts. (Note: the Fokker seaplane was initially built for the Byrd Antarctic Expedition.)
Mid air refueling experiments in January, 1929. A U.S. Army Air Service Douglas C-1 tanker plane, with hose trailing below it, flies above a modified Atlantic-Fokker C-2A named "Question Mark." The hose is let down to the Question Mark, where a crew member seizes it and makes a connection for fuel transfer. After transfer of fuel is complete, the crew member throws the fuel line off and it is retrieved by the tanker plane. The Question Mark lands at Metropolitan Airport, Van Nuys, California on January 7, 1929, and taxiis in to park. The crew members, including Major Carl A. Spaatz, Captain Ira C. Eaker, Lieutenant Harry A. Halverson, Lieutenant Elwood R.(Pete) Quesada, and Staff Sergeant Roy W. Hooe, all exit the airplane and gather under the wing with well wishers. The five crew members pose for photographs beside their airplane, the "Question Mark." Ground crew tows the aircraft with a tractor.
Film opens showing a display case in the Bolling Air Force Base Officer's Club, containing a model of the Atlantic-Fokker C-2A aircraft flown by pilots of the U.S. Army Air Corps, in January, 1929 when they set an endurance record of more than 150 hours sustained flight. Below it is a Wright J-5 Whirlwind R-790 engine that powered the flight. Next a large poster is shown commemorating the 35th anniversary of the feat (1929 to 1964). It contains photos of highlights from that event. Next, the retired officers pass the display of model and engine as they descend stairs and enter dining room. Most are in civilian clothes. But several attendees are active duty officers in uniform. Major Sidney Kubesch, pilot on record-breaking B-58 flight from Tokyo-to-London, pauses to stand and look at the display case. General Nathan Twining; General Ira Eaker seen briefly at the display case. At end of clip, General Carl Spaatz stands alone, looking at the display.