Tug tows Northrop F-15 Reporter into hangar in Minneapolis, Minnesota to be instrumented for Project Thunderstorm. Various scenes of electrical equipment used in making man-made lightning, including a generator made up of hundreds of transformers, and a connected massive generator for producing high voltage. A large oscillograph is shown along with a smaller oscillograph designed for airborne use. A scientist is seen inside the giant generator. Artificial lightning tests are made on canopy of the F-15 occupied by a scientist, and the canopy remains intact following lightning strike. Lightning rods are attached to lightning-vulnerable nose, tail fin, and wing tip locations of the Project Thunderstorm aircraft. Pilot climbs into canopy of F-15. Airborne F-15 project aircraft seen in flight headed toward area of dark clouds. In Ohio at Clinton County Army Air Field, a project officer (AAF Captain) describes how search procedures of the pilot, weather observer, and radar observer are coordinated and key locations of radar and cooperating facilities at Jamestown and the Clinton County Army Airfield. Large radar antenna revolving on top of large tower, scanning for signs of thunderstorms. Radar antenna scanning vertically, near Quonset huts. Command center inside a quonset hut with project personnel at radar scopes and thunderstorm and aircraft positions plotted on large plexiglass screens. Technician adjust motion picture camera that photographs radar scopes every four seconds. Operator at vertical measuring instrument, showing reflected returns from targets, on July 18, 1947. View of operator at plan position indicator radar scope showing weather returns on June 6, 1947. Ground Control Approach (GCA) truck located near end of airfield to guide landings of Thunderstorm aircraft. Radio operators sitting at radar scopes inside the GCA unit. P-61 makes GCA approach and landing in good weather, to maintain skills needed when weather is bad. Briefing officer at blackboard cites radio channels to be used for various purposes. View of AAF aircrews in audience.
Newsreel clip on Minnesota welcoming major league baseball to the state in April 1961. Exterior views of Metropolitan Stadium, the home of the new Minnesota Twins. Banner reads "The Minnesota Twins Welcome You." Announcer notes team is playing in Bloomington, seven miles from each of the state's two major cities, Minneapolis and St. Paul. View of 25,000 spectators, most bundled up for a chilly day, inside stadium for the home opener against the Washington Senators. Those on hand include baseball commissioner Ford Frick, American League president Joe Cronin, and Minnesota Governor Elmer Andersen. Announcer notes the previous Washington team moved to Minnesota and was replaced with a new Senators team in Washington. Dignitaries walk on field trailed by Minnesota manager Cookie Lavagetto and Washington manager Mickey Vernon. Dignitaries raise the American flag. Governor Andersen kisses a baseball and throws out the ceremonial first pitch. Announcer notes Twins lost this game, but says "Who cares?" because Minnesota is in the big leagues.
Golf's Saint Paul Open in Minnesota, United States. People gather to watch the golf tournament. Jim Ferrier of Chicago wins the title. A man hits a golf ball. People watch and applaud. Men with golf clubs.
Delegates from the Pan American Highway Commission travel northward in Minnesota, United States during a visit to various states. A bridge over the Upper Mississippi River near St. Paul is visible with a small sign identifying the waterway as the Mississippi River. The bridge has multiple metal trusses atop stone pilings. People greet the Commission delegates in a small town. View of Minnesota Governor J.A.O. Preus enjoying a drink with commission delegates and towns people near a town gazebo. The town may be Garrison, Isle, Malmo Township, Vineland, Wahkon, or Wealthwood Township, Minnesota, as there is also a view over the banks of Mille Lacs Lake near which all of these towns are situated.
Pan American Highway Commission delegates visit sites in Minnesota. View of world's largest open-pit iron ore mines in Hibbing Minnesota. Giant steam shovels,mining train, railroad tracks are seen. View from high up in Duluth looking down at Lake Superior. View of freighter in Lake Superior just off the shore at Duluth. Loading of iron ore into hull of the iron ore carrying freighter "General Orlando M. Poe" at dock in Duluth. Train cars carrying ore sit atop a bridge over a pier in the water. Ore seen sliding down chutes from the railcars into the waiting freighter. Views of Duluth's Aerial Bridge (an Aerial Transporter Bridge) in action spanning the sandbar known as Minnesota Point (or Park Point), as designed by Thomas McGilvray. This is the bridge before its redesign as an Aerial Lift Bridge. The Bridge's Gondola is seen moving from one side to the other.
A film titled 'Uncommon Valor' about the raising of the U.S. flag by U.S. Marines on Iwo Jima, Japan during World War II. United States naval fleet underway off the coast of Iwo Jima. U.S. Army Air Forces aircraft in flight. U.S. 4th and 5th Division Marines disembark from a ship and get onto landing crafts as they head towards the Iwo Jima shoreline. Marines land ashore and advance inland. They raise the American flag on Mount Suribachi. A newspaper boy sells newspapers on a street in the United States. A picture of the raising of the flag on Mount Suribachi. View of sculptor Felix De Weldon as he carves a sculpture of the flag raising event. Scenes from the unveiling and dedication ceremony of the original limestone statue on November 10, 1951, at the Marine Corps base in Quantico, Virginia, for the 176th anniversary of the founding of the Marine Corps. (The version of the statue seen in this footage had been placed in front of the Navy Department Building at the intersection of Constitution Avenue and 19th Street Northwest, Washington, D.C on 10 November 1945. It features 9 foot figures at 1.5 times life size scale. This sculpture was moved to Quantico Marine Base on 17 November 1947. It had been originally constructed by De Weldon of Indiana limestone, cement, and sand due to a lack of bronze during the war. At the time of its move to Quantico in 1947, the statue had deteriorated due to weather. Also, coats of paint to give the look of bronze had hidden much of the detail and had to be removed. Felix de Weldon supervised the repairs at Quantico before the statue was officially dedicated at the main entrance of Quantico on 10 November 1951, as seen in this ceremony). Officers lined up at the ceremony and many guests in the audience. A parking lot seen in the distance behind the assembled crowd. Cover sheets being removed as the war memorial is unveiled at Quantico.