The world struggle for oil is depicted. Use of components of oil in homes and in railroads in the United States is shown. A dramatization shows the effect of a kerosene lamp on social life. A woman seated in a chair near a table in a room. A kerosene lamp in a corner. A man opens the door of the room and walks in. The woman gets up and welcomes the man. They both walk to a seat and sit down. Another woman enters the room. The man stands to greet her. She increases the light of the lamp and then leaves the room. The man decreases the light of the lamp. The man and the woman talk. The 1893 replica of the 1831 DeWitt Clinton steam locomotive is shown in operation with its three carriage train, in New York City. The DeWitt Clinton was the first railroad locomotive to operate on the Mohawk & Hudson Railroad in New York. The reproduction seen here was built in 1893 by the New York Central Railroad for the Columbian Exposition in Chicago. This footage was shot on July 17, 1921 when the DeWitt Clinton train was preparing for a trip to another exposition in Chicago. On this day it ran several times from 96th to 116th streets in New York City. New York Central employees are seen on the drain, dressed as passengers would have been in 1831. This replica was later displayed at Grand Central Terminal in New York City, and is is now on display at The Henry Ford museum in Dearborn Michigan. It was acquired by Henry Ford in 1934, in an agreement with the New York Central that it would continue to travel to events on occasion.
President Rutherford Birchard Hayes' house in Ohio, United States. View of President Hayes's tomb. View of President James Abram Garfield's house in Cuyahoga County, Ohio. Tomb and statue of President Garfield. View of the birth place of President William McKinley at Niles, Ohio. Scene shifts to Queen Liliʻuokalani at Royal Parade in Honolulu Hawaii. (Her throne was relinquished to the United States in 1893.) Men, women and children participate in the parade. Queen Liliuokalani reviews the parade and greets dignitaries. Sanford B. Dole, first Governor of Hawaii, views the parade. Hawaiian soldiers parade, followed by United States armed forces. A mounted band plays on horseback.
View of letter signed by Thomas A. Edison, dated September 30, 1902, concerning restrictions on use of the film. Line at top of letter reads: "Patented March 14, 1893." The film shows four Girls, in white night dresses, engaged in a pillow fight. One of the pillows tears and feathers fly everywhere. A single frame inserted at time code 00:14/ 00:30 reads: "Copyright 1897 by Thomas A. Edison."
Artifacts used by former Hawaiian Royalty. A pair of thrones. A royal cloak and headgear. Royal crowns. Portraits of Hawaiian King David Kalekaua (or Kalakaua) and Queen Kapiolani. Painting of conflict (Perhaps an artist's interpretation of armed Americans coming ashore from the USS Boston,in 1893? ) Painting of a modern ocean liner underway at sea.
The R. E. Lee Camp No. 1, Confederate Soldiers Home Memorial Building is a National Historic Landmark, Civil War Historic site in Richmond, Virginia. Confederate Veterans who fought in America's Civil War pose outside 'Fleming Hall', the R.E. Lee Camp No. 1, Confederate Soldier's Home Museum building and headquarters. The next scene shows all the Camp's veterans assembled for the cleaning a civil war artillery cannon. 'Fleming Hall' can be seen in the distance on the left. It was established as the first Confederate Soldiers Home in December 1884. In the center distance is the 1885 'Pegram Hall' barracks, named to memorialize two brothers who were killed in battle. Behind the veteran in the next scene, is the meeting hall named 'Randolph Hall' on the left, which was built in 1885 and appears with 'Cooke Hall' barracks built in 1894. The latter has a two-story balcony used as first and second floor rocking chair porches, facing the Boulevard to the right. (The United Daughters of the Confederacy national headquarters now stands on the site, facing the Boulevard, where 'Cooke Hall', the 1893 'Soldiers Home hospital' and 'Pegram Hall' once stood.) The President Jefferson Davis Monument seen, is located on Monument Avenue. Confederate monuments and memorials grace each intersection throughout its entire length, to honor fallen Confederate officers, as prescribed in the code of the City of Richmond at the request of the Stonewall Jackson Camp Number 981, Sons of Confederate Veterans. Last segment shows Richmond's Star Fort number ten of the Inter-city-defenses that guard the left flank of old Deep Run Turnpike (now named Broad Street). The canon seen to the right behind the Star-fort breast works is the Monument Avenue landmark for the site that exists today just east of President Davis' Monument.
A unit of German horse cavalry (lancers) equipped with M1893 lances, moving along a dirt road in France, during World War 1. (WWI; WW1)