President Franklin D. Roosevelt, speaks at the dedication of Techwood Homes. (Techwood was a slum clearance project to build twenty-three brick and concrete buildings to house 604 families and 308 Georgia Tech students. It also included forty-two concrete buildings with 677 apartments at Atlanta University.) The President is seen delivering his dedication speech, entitled,"The Meaning of Progress," at Grant Field on the Georgia Tech campus, Atlanta, Georgia, before an audience of 50,000 people. He remembers the day, eleven years ago, in 1924, when he first came to Warm Springs, Georgia. He speaks about those days of so-called prosperity in America,when speculators profited and there was a "fools paradise before "the crash", and the citizens were left "holding the bag." He reflects on the disaster and gloom from 1929 to March 3,1933, and reminds the audience of his administrations subsequent actions to re-open closed banks and establish insurance for bank depositors. He speaks of the efforts of Government to find gainful employment for people out of work.
U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicates the chapel at Georgia Warm Springs Foundation in Warm Springs, Georgia. Cars parked on the road side. President Roosevelt arrives at the new chapel and drives up footpath to the door. Closeup of license plate on the President's 1938 Ford convertible (with hand controls) reads 'Georgia FDR 1938'. Following the dedication service, the President is seen standing supported by door of his car, as he shakes hands with Rt. Rev. Henry J. Mikell, D.D., Bishop of Atlanta. Standing nearby are Rev. J.D.C. Wilson, Rector of St. Mark's Episcopal Church in LaGrange, Georgia, and FDR's neighbor and friend, and former owner of Warm Springs, Georgia Mustian Wilkins, who donated the funds for the chapel. Scene shifts to large group of polio victims, in wheel chairs. Closeup of President Roosevelt. Group of polio victims , in their wheel chairs, posing outside a Foundation building, with McCarthy Cottage and the E.T. Curtis Cottage in background.
U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt and Secretary of State Cordell Hull confer in the Summer White House in Warm Springs, Georgia. U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt and Secretary of State Cordell Hull seated on chairs outside the Summer White House in Warm Springs. The officials confer. The officials shake hands and smile. The President signs on the report of the results of London Economic Conference. The Secretary of State seated beside him.
Newsreel titled 'President Roosevelt approves liquor code as production booms' shows President Franklin D. Roosevelt conferring with Secretary of State Henry A. Wallace before approving liquor code in Warm Springs,Georgia near end of Prohibition. This occurred in advance of the formal ratification of the 21st amendment on December 5, 1933, repealing the 18th Amendment (Prohibition). Approval leads to a boom in the production of liquor. Scenes in a distillery and assembly line operation for Old Colony Dry Gin. Machines filling bottles with liquor. Women on assembly line packaging gin bottles. Lab technician beside laboratory instruments in distillery examines and tastes liquor and smiles. Large wooden barrels or casks being filled with beer or liquor, and then barrels rolled by men at production plant toward shipping areas.
President Franklin D Roosevelt during a vacation at the Little White House in Warm Springs, Georgia. President Roosevelt sits in his personal hand-controlled 1932 Plymouth PA Phaeton open car, outside the little White House in Warm Springs, Georgia. He sits in the car as photographers take pictures. U.S. Marine guard stands at attention , in background. A man sitting in back seat of the open car moves to the front and sits next to President Roosevelt, who then drives the car, with the man, smiling beside him. Front view of the car shows a triple A insignia and license plate displaying the single letter "R." A Secret Service agent jumps on the running board as the car comes past him. Other Secret Service Agents follow in another car. The two cars are seen under the entrance sign to "Georgia Warm Springs Foundation." The President is driving with three passengers in his car, followed by the Secret Service car. They proceed out on the public highway, past a gasoline station with "Standard Oil Products" sign in front. A U.S. Marine guard in uniform, stands beside large sign reading: "This is The Little White House." it asks the public not to intrude.
Franklin D Roosevelt's Presidential election campaign in Atlanta, Georgia. In the opening scene, New York Governor Roosevelt begins addressing a huge gathering of some 7000 people in the old Atlanta Armory auditorium, on the evening of October 24, 1932. The stage is filled with flowers donated by Atlanta florists, for the occasion, including a tall arch of flowers surrounding the speaker rostrum. Roosevelt begins his comments expressing appreciation for the warm welcome given by people of Georgia. The scene then changes, completely, and He, along with his family, are seen relaxing in his winter home in Warm Springs, Georgia. He sits with a group of musicians and listens as they play country music.