Former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Retired Admiral Arthur W. Radford, and his wife, arrive by C-118 aircraft and are met by Air Force officers at U.S Air Force Base, Wiesbaden, Germany. After exchanging greetings with their host officers, The Radfords enter a car and and are driven away. The rear of the car displays four stars, indicating the retired admiral's rank.
Opening slate reads April 17, 1945, Wiesbaden, Germany. A brick building in Wiesbaden with large arrow pointing downstairs, labeled "LSR"meaning Luftschutzraum (Air-raid room). Signpost in front of a building with damaged roof, reads,"Radfahr-weg" (bicycle path). Below it an American army sign reads "WP-Water Point." U.S. soldier directs military vehicles, carrying surrendered German soldiers, as they cross the Rhein (Rhine) river, from Wiesbaden to Mainz on a pontoon bridge. The dome of Christuskirche (Christ Church) across the river, dominates the skyline
A U.S. Army VH-3A helicopter lands on the lawn of the Hotel General von Steuben, in Wiesbaden, Germany. A crowd of spectators stands across the drive from the hotel lawn, constrained by German policemen. U.S. Air Force Military policemen stand guard on the nearer side of the drive. Soon the Presidential VH-3 helicopter, Marine One, lands on the lawn. It displays the Presidential seal and that of the Military District of Washington, DC. Next, President John F. Kennedy is seen walking past the Army helicopter and into the U.S. Military's Hotel General von Steuben. He is accompanied by German Chancellor, Ludwig Erhard, U.S. Secretary of State, Dean Rusk and U.S. Army Aide, Brigadier General Chester V. Clifton, along with a phalanx of Secret Service Agents. Other officials look out from a dining room window of the hotel as the Presidential party arrives. (Note: In the 1950s, the U.S. built three large military hotels in Wiesbaden. In 1951,a star-shaped Hotel [the American Arms] was built on Frankfurter Strasse. In 1955, the 9-story Amelia Earhart Hotel was opened. It was a utilitarian structure, with row after row of windows. President Nixon once stayed there. It closed in 1995. The General von Steuben Hotel, depicted in this film, was the newest, built in 1956, on Auguste Viktoria Strasse, near the train station. It is now a commercial hotel, "the Dorint Hotel Pallas Wiesbaden." )
Project Cirrus, Wiesbaden, Germany. Honor Guard and a band await the arrival of a dignitary at Wiesbaden Air Force Base. United States C-54 aircraft lands and taxis before a group of officers, door opens and ramp wheeled in place. Lieutenant General Lauris Norstad, Deputy Chief Allied Forces, Norwegian General Oen leave the plane. Major General Truman H Landan, Deputy Commanding Officer, USAFE ( United states Air force in Europe ), Lieutenant General Robert W Harper, USAFE, Colonel Rich, chief of Staff 12th Air Force and Colonel Roberts, Commanding Officer Wiesbaden Air Force Base greet the dignitaries as photographers take pictures. Dignitaries salute, ranks of colors and band. Officers review honor guard, get into a car and it moves away.
Germany ten years after World War II. A steam locomotive moving along track near Dyckerhoff cement company plant in Wiesbaden, Germany. The locomotive emits black smoke. The cement factory is seen in the left rear background.
Project Cirrus, Wiesbaden, Germany. Inspecting party including Lieutenant General Lauris Norstad and others walk in Italian camp area, Wiesbaden, Germany. They come out of the tent, exchange greetings, salute Italian escorts by the car and leave. The party inspects American tent area and enters tents. Party salutes men outside tents.