Strong Gale winds cause high waves to strike sea wall in Winthrop,Massachusetts along New England coast. On the North East coast of Great Britain stormy sea drive a vessel along the rocky shore.
Henry Ford works on historical preservation project. McGuffey readers are seen. Sketch of Ford family farm in Springwells, Michigan. View of homestead at the farm, that Ford restores. He examines the farm's steam engine. The historic Wayside Inn, in Sudbury, Massachusetts, which Ford purchased to construct a community of historic buildings. View of the restored Botsford Inn,Detroit, Michigan, that Ford bought in 1924.View of Eagle Tavern, in Clinton, Michigan,before,and,after its purchase and restoration by Henry Ford. Concerned about need for additional buildings to house artifacts, Henry Ford consulting with Detroit architect,Robert O. Derrick (with mustache) and two other men. Derrick's plan for the Henry Ford museum is unrolled. It borrows from Independence Hall, Congress Hall, and the old City Hall in Philadelphia.Views of the Clock Tower and museum, as completed in 1929. A pictorial map of the Edison Institute Museum and Historical Greenfield Village, in Dearborn, Michigan. View of construction begun in 1927. Thomas A. Edison laboratory in Menlo Park, New Jersey, that Ford acquired for Greenfield Village. On a windy September 17, 1928, Thomas A. Edison steps from a car, and pauses before entering the doorway of his restored laboratory, in Greenfield Village. Henry and Mrs.Ford step from their car to quickly join him in the building.Edsel Ford and his wife, also follow. Inside the building, Edison officially open the site by starting a steam engine in the laboratory. Ford and Edison converse (Ford speaking close to Edison's ear, because he is hard of hearing). Later, Edison, in a cornerstone ceremony, imbeds, a shovel contributed by Luther Burbank, and then writes in cement of the cornerstone.Newspapers show coverage of the formal dedication of the museum and Greenfield village, October 21, 1929. Workers rushing the Village toward completion for that event. The Smithcreek Railroad depot is moved to the Village. Workers preparing installation of the depot.
U.S. President Richard Nixon arrives at Fort Smith, Arkansas to watch a football game between Texas and Arkansas at Razorback Stadium. Arkansas Governor Winthrop Rockefeller welcomes President Nixon at the airport and invites him to the speaker's podium. President Nixon speaks from the speaker's podium on the airport ramp and addresses the welcoming crowd. The U.S. Air Force One parked behind him. President Nixon expresses his good wishes for Christmas. The crowd cheers. President Nixon raises an American flag and gets into a helicopter to fly to Fayetteville for the game.
Aerial view of a lookout tower in a forest in United States . A Ford trimotor airplane takes off on a grass field. The airplane in flight and dropping supplies to firefighters, by parachute. Scenes of 1939 experimental tests with firefighters parachuting from a Ford trimotor, near Winthrop, Washington. They can be seen leaving the aircraft, chutes opening, and firefighters descending. Scenes from first operational use of parachuting firefighters, on July 12, 1940, when Smoke Jumpers, Rufus Johnson and Earl Cooley parachuted into the Nez Perce forest , in Idaho, where they successfully extinguished a small fire. Rufus Johnson was the first to jump from the airplane, followed immediately by Earl Cooley. Fire fighters being trained at a parachute training center in Missoula, Montana. Men learn to jump and run over wooden planks. An instructor gives directions to trainees on a loudspeaker.
Thomas Edison with his original tin foil phonograph (recording and playing device), that was produced in December 1877. Edison stands near a NBC microphone and shows operation of his tinfoil phonograph, also referred to in press of the late 1800s as a Talking Machine. This footage was shot on the occasion of a recognition ceremony for Edison on October 20, 1928, where he was also presented the Congressional Gold Medal by President Calvin Coolidge. This original tinfoil phonograph had been given by Edison in 1880 to a representative of the English Patent Office who visited the Menlo Park lab. The machine had been exhibited in England. It was repatriated for this 1928 event by the South Kensington Museum in London. British diplomat Ronald Ian Campbell, partially visible on the left in this footage, presented the phonograph back to Edison. Today it is on display at the Edison National Historic Site in West Orange, New Jersey.
Sesquicentennial celebration of Captain Cook's discovery of Hawaii: (1778-1928) held in the Hawaiian Islands, August 15 to 21, 1928. Monmouth-class British armored cruiser underway en route to Hawaii. Royal Hawaiian flag draped on tripod of submerged tablet, marking the site of Cook's demise. (The inscription reads: "Near
this spot Captain James Cook, R.N., was killed, Feb. 14, 1779.") Smoke seen rising from naval guns on the British cruiser, in Kealakekua Bay, firing 21-gun salute. Camera pans over to the battleship, USS Pennsylvania (BB-38) also firing her guns in salute. A group of British buglers plays "The Last Post," during the ceremony. U.S. Secretary of War, Dwight F. Davis and Territorial Governor of Hawaii, Wallace R. Farrington, step into a Hawaiian outrigger canoe for a short trip across the bay. Next they are seen stepping from the canoe, to a Navy launch tied at the dock in Napoopoo, and thence to the dock, itself. Change of scene shows Secretary Davis and Governor Farrington, with many other guests at a traditional Hawaiian Luau. There Secretary Davis is also seen delivering remarks to the gathering.