Henry Ford works on historical preservation project. McGuffey readers are seen. Sketch of Ford family farm in Springwells, Michigan. View of homestead at the farm, that Ford restores. He examines the farm's steam engine. The historic Wayside Inn, in Sudbury, Massachusetts, which Ford purchased to construct a community of historic buildings. View of the restored Botsford Inn,Detroit, Michigan, that Ford bought in 1924.View of Eagle Tavern, in Clinton, Michigan,before,and,after its purchase and restoration by Henry Ford. Concerned about need for additional buildings to house artifacts, Henry Ford consulting with Detroit architect,Robert O. Derrick (with mustache) and two other men. Derrick's plan for the Henry Ford museum is unrolled. It borrows from Independence Hall, Congress Hall, and the old City Hall in Philadelphia.Views of the Clock Tower and museum, as completed in 1929. A pictorial map of the Edison Institute Museum and Historical Greenfield Village, in Dearborn, Michigan. View of construction begun in 1927. Thomas A. Edison laboratory in Menlo Park, New Jersey, that Ford acquired for Greenfield Village. On a windy September 17, 1928, Thomas A. Edison steps from a car, and pauses before entering the doorway of his restored laboratory, in Greenfield Village. Henry and Mrs.Ford step from their car to quickly join him in the building.Edsel Ford and his wife, also follow. Inside the building, Edison officially open the site by starting a steam engine in the laboratory. Ford and Edison converse (Ford speaking close to Edison's ear, because he is hard of hearing). Later, Edison, in a cornerstone ceremony, imbeds, a shovel contributed by Luther Burbank, and then writes in cement of the cornerstone.Newspapers show coverage of the formal dedication of the museum and Greenfield village, October 21, 1929. Workers rushing the Village toward completion for that event. The Smithcreek Railroad depot is moved to the Village. Workers preparing installation of the depot.
Visitors walking about on the ramp of the Ford Airport, in Dearborn Michigan, during the 1930 Ford Commercial Reliability Tour. Many are lined up by a fence, looking at a squadron of U.S. Army Air Corps Curtiss P-1 Hawk pursuit airplanes parked in the grass. Scene shifts to closer to terminal building where visitors stroll amongst a variety of planes parked on the ramp. Buildings of the Greenfield Village are seen in the background, especially the Clock Tower. In near background, the squadron of P-1 airplanes have engines running. Camera moves and focuses on those aircraft. A light plane is seen inflight overhead. One of the P-1s taxis on the ramp. Next, woman aviator, Nancy Hopkins is seen in the cockpit of her Viking Kitty Hawk B4 biplane, NC30V. She is wearing helmet and goggles, and appears to have just parked her airplane. Two men greet her (one wearing a cowboy hat, of sorts). She turns and smiles for the camera. Then she removes helmet and goggles and climbs down from the cockpit, to pose next to her airplane, displaying the number “22” on its fuselage. On the plane’s tail, is written,”Kittyhawk” in large letters, followed by “ Kittyhawk Flying Boat Company, New Haven, Conn.” Camera shows formations of U.S. Army P-1s in flights of three, airborne overhead. A solo stunt airplane is seen next.
A variety of airplanes parked at the Ford Airport, Dearborn, Michigan,at the start of the 1930 Ford Commercial Airplane reliability tour, AKA The National Air Tour for the Edsel B. Ford Reliability Trophy. Red, White, and blue bunting decorates the airport building. In the distance, the Clock Tower, at Greenfield Village can be seen. Some pilots start their engines. At TC: 00:40 Nancy Hopkins, the only woman pilot in the event (and her own mechanic), is seen walking toward the camera, smiling and folding a paper. At TC:00:45, Aviator Jimmy Doolittle is seen standing by the leading edge of an airplane wing, with his hand on the pitot tube. Edsel Ford and an assistant control the start of airplanes, each at a specific time. They signal each pilot to start, using a white flag. The last plane seen taking off is number 22, a Viking Kitty Hawk B4 biplane, piloted by Nancy Hopkins.
Huge crowd attending the dedication of the Edison Institute, Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, in Dearborn, Michigan, on a rainy October 21, 1929. The event includes a Jubilee of Lights, celebrating the 50th anniversary of Edison's electric light. People holding umbrellas, stand on platform of the Smithcreek Railroad depot, which has been moved to the village. Steam issues from antique locomotive parked on far track. An 1850 steam locomotive decorated with American flags, pulls a 3-car train into the depot, with its bell clanging. Secret Service agents step from the moving train to take up positions on the platform.U.S. President, Herbert Hoover, escorts Thomas Edison, down the steps of the train to the platform. Mrs. Hoover follows, along with Henry Ford, who moves quickly down the steps, as other notable guests also alight. The President, and Mrs. Hoover, along with Edison and Ford, enter a car and proceed in a motorcade through the city of Detroit. Tickertape is seen descending from the city buildings. A speaker stand at steps of City Hall is decorated in patriotic bunting and displays pictures of Hoover and Edison, and a sign reading: "Light's Golden Jubilee." Guests remaining at Greenfield village are taken on guided tours in horse-drawn carriages. Many who walk carry umbrellas. Among building seen are: An 1828 toll house and shoe shop;Blacksmith shop; a tintype studio of the 1880s; an 1830s post office and apothecary shop, from Phoenixville, Connecticut; the Clifton Inn, on the village green; a General store, from Waterford, Michigan; the Village Town Hall; and the Martha Mary Chapel. Interior of museum galleries, with guests in formal attire assembled for a candle light banquet, while at the Menlo Park exhibit, Edison, with assistant, Francis Jehl, re-enact the successful demonstration of a carbon filament electric light. At the same time, all electric lights in the museum and village are turned on. View of elaborate electric light chandelier illuminated.
A girl performs various acrobatic maneuvers at May Day Festival in Ford Motor Company's Greenfield village, Dearborn, Michigan. Group of people dance on field wearing traditional costumes. Spectators watch from the edge of the field. Festival queen watches the show with two young boys from her court standing beside. Child performs tap dance on a wooden platform.
Teachers and students form a line as they enter Greefield Village on a field trip. Students in courtyard,with docent speaking to them. Students assembling in courtyard as they enter Greenfield Village. Group of students walking along sidewalk. Others passing the 17th Century Sussquehanna House. View of the 18th Century Secretary House, home of the first Secretary of State for New Hampshire. The 19th Century Greek Revival, Ann Arbor House, once occupied by Robert Frost. Students enter a Carding House, where spinning wheel and weaving are demonstrated.The Wright Brothers bicycle shop.The home of Noah Webster. A log building and McGuffey readers. Photo montage showing Clock Tower, winter scene with sled, and Mississippi river boat. Visitors,in the Ford Museum,look at cornerstone inscribed by Thomas Edison.Exhibits of home furnishings, silver (including Paul Revere collection) and pottery collections, in the museum.Little girls looking into a shop in the street of shops at the museum. Allegheny steam locomotive and numerous cars in transportation section of the museum. The Roper Steam carriage of 1863 and other historic vehicles.The first Aircraft guidance device. Exhibits illustrating the history of lighting. A hall of exhibits showing development of steam power.A nun in habit, with companion in the hall of wood and metal working machines. School children looking at exhbits of farm threshers and reapers. The clock tower of the Village.Visitors walking through the complex. Newspaper headline announces death of Henry Ford, at age 83, in 1947.Gravestone of Henry Ford showing birth of July 30, 1863 and death April 7, 1947. Negative image of Ford on his Quadricycle with Greenfield Village Clock Tower behind.