Wright brother's house in Greenfield Village near Dearborn, MI. The house and their bicycle shop were moved there from Dayton, OH in 1936 by Henry Ford. A two story house with trees on both sides, near the road. An old fashioned horse drawn carriage with words, 'Greenfield Village' written on the side and drawn by two horses passes on road in front of the house. A man and women in period clothing pass in front of the house.
Henry Ford works on historical preservation project. McGuffey readers are seen. Sketch of Ford family farm in Springwells, Michigan. View of homestead at the farm, that Ford restores. He examines the farm's steam engine. The historic Wayside Inn, in Sudbury, Massachusetts, which Ford purchased to construct a community of historic buildings. View of the restored Botsford Inn,Detroit, Michigan, that Ford bought in 1924.View of Eagle Tavern, in Clinton, Michigan,before,and,after its purchase and restoration by Henry Ford. Concerned about need for additional buildings to house artifacts, Henry Ford consulting with Detroit architect,Robert O. Derrick (with mustache) and two other men. Derrick's plan for the Henry Ford museum is unrolled. It borrows from Independence Hall, Congress Hall, and the old City Hall in Philadelphia.Views of the Clock Tower and museum, as completed in 1929. A pictorial map of the Edison Institute Museum and Historical Greenfield Village, in Dearborn, Michigan. View of construction begun in 1927. Thomas A. Edison laboratory in Menlo Park, New Jersey, that Ford acquired for Greenfield Village. On a windy September 17, 1928, Thomas A. Edison steps from a car, and pauses before entering the doorway of his restored laboratory, in Greenfield Village. Henry and Mrs.Ford step from their car to quickly join him in the building.Edsel Ford and his wife, also follow. Inside the building, Edison officially open the site by starting a steam engine in the laboratory. Ford and Edison converse (Ford speaking close to Edison's ear, because he is hard of hearing). Later, Edison, in a cornerstone ceremony, imbeds, a shovel contributed by Luther Burbank, and then writes in cement of the cornerstone.Newspapers show coverage of the formal dedication of the museum and Greenfield village, October 21, 1929. Workers rushing the Village toward completion for that event. The Smithcreek Railroad depot is moved to the Village. Workers preparing installation of the depot.
Henry Ford's second quadricycle and his work shop displayed at Ford Museum (Greenfield Village), Dearborn, Michigan. The quadricycle and various equipment near it in the workshop. Equipment and parts at the workshop.
Henry Ford's first work shop at Ford Museum (Greenfield Village), Dearborn, Michigan. A small two room compartment near road where Henry Ford worked to build his first car.
President of the United States Herbert Clark Hoover visits Detroit, together with Thomas A. Edison at invitation of Henry Ford for the celebration "Light's Golden Jubilee" honoring Thomas Edison and his invention of the electric light 50 years earlier. Automobile carrying President Hoover turns on corner of business district in rainy conditions. A policeman stands at the corner of the street. Spectators under umbrellas gather at a sidewalk. A decorated flag on the speaker's platform. Audience in raincoats and hats with umbrellas. A wood-burning locomotive train built in 1860 and decked with bunting arrives at railroad station of Smiths Creek Michigan depot at Greenfield Village. This station is where Edison, as a youngster 70 years earlier had been thrown off a similar train for a fire in the baggage car triggered by Edison's chemicals. Ford moved the station to Greenfield Village. Spectators with umbrellas on platform. President Herbert Hoover and Thomas Alva Edison exit the baggage car to join crowd on platform. President Hoover poses with American founder of the Ford Motor Company, Henry Ford, and the guest of honor, Thomas Edison. The three men converse. In the next scene, at a reconstructed Menlo Lab in Greenfield Village, Edison, Ford, and Hoover stand together as Thomas Edison recreates the lighting of the first electric lamp. Thomas Edison gestures as he points to equipment. Edison's former assistant, Francis Jehl, pours from a vessel into the top of the electric light apparatus as Hoover, Ford, and Edison look on.
Huge crowd attending the dedication of the Edison Institute, Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, in Dearborn, Michigan, on a rainy October 21, 1929. The event includes a Jubilee of Lights, celebrating the 50th anniversary of Edison's electric light. People holding umbrellas, stand on platform of the Smithcreek Railroad depot, which has been moved to the village. Steam issues from antique locomotive parked on far track. An 1850 steam locomotive decorated with American flags, pulls a 3-car train into the depot, with its bell clanging. Secret Service agents step from the moving train to take up positions on the platform.U.S. President, Herbert Hoover, escorts Thomas Edison, down the steps of the train to the platform. Mrs. Hoover follows, along with Henry Ford, who moves quickly down the steps, as other notable guests also alight. The President, and Mrs. Hoover, along with Edison and Ford, enter a car and proceed in a motorcade through the city of Detroit. Tickertape is seen descending from the city buildings. A speaker stand at steps of City Hall is decorated in patriotic bunting and displays pictures of Hoover and Edison, and a sign reading: "Light's Golden Jubilee." Guests remaining at Greenfield village are taken on guided tours in horse-drawn carriages. Many who walk carry umbrellas. Among building seen are: An 1828 toll house and shoe shop;Blacksmith shop; a tintype studio of the 1880s; an 1830s post office and apothecary shop, from Phoenixville, Connecticut; the Clifton Inn, on the village green; a General store, from Waterford, Michigan; the Village Town Hall; and the Martha Mary Chapel. Interior of museum galleries, with guests in formal attire assembled for a candle light banquet, while at the Menlo Park exhibit, Edison, with assistant, Francis Jehl, re-enact the successful demonstration of a carbon filament electric light. At the same time, all electric lights in the museum and village are turned on. View of elaborate electric light chandelier illuminated.