Dr. Enrico Fermi and assistants reenact experiments at site of the Chicago Pile-1 (CP-1) nuclear reactor, University of Chicago
Chicago Illinois USA Date:1946, July Duration:6 min 39 sec Sound:NO SOUND
Men walking towards the West Stands of Stagg Field, where the Institute for the Study of Metals, occupies the southern half of the abandoned stands. To the North, where the center of the building protrudes toward Ellis Avenue, is the squash court area in which the famous Chicago Pile number 1 was built, and achieved controlled, sustained nuclear fission, on December 2, 1942. Scene shifts to different area where a sign reads: "5655, Institute for the Study of Metals, Delivery Entrance." Scene shifts again, to Dr. Enrico Fermi and two assistants in front of a facsimile of the Chicago Pile 1. One assistant holds a simulated "control rod" that he "withdraws" from from the pile, while Dr. Fermi glances at a geiger counter and makes notes in a book. This is repeated for several takes, including one taken much closer. Dr.Fermi and his assistant smile as they take these actions. The second assistant, sits at a desk, where a slide rule is visible, and makes notes in a book. A large geiger counter is seen with lights flashing. Above the lights the counter is labeled "Interpolation," and the numbers: 1,2,4,16, and 32 appear above the lights, respectively. Dr. Fermi is then seen in another part of the lab, where he is making adjustments on some unseen device and annotating a book. Piping of various sizes is seen in background. He repeats these actions a number of times for the camera.
This historic stock footage available in HD and SD video. View pricing below video player.
Have a correction or more info about this clip? Edit Now